Paddle Canada Sea Kayak L2
Our Paddle Canada Level 2 Sea Kayak Course will bring you to the tidal region around Deer Island where you will learn to combine your level 1 skills and expand on them to navigate the dynamic waters in the area.
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to confidently sea kayak in class-2 conditions along moderately exposed shoreline in the company of one or more paddlers with similar skills and knowledge. The Level-2 paddler will be an asset to the group in all aspects of multi-day journeys with peers, including leadership, navigation skills and the ability to establish an overnight bivvy.
- Certification: Sea Kayak Level-1 Skills certification or equivalent skill and knowledge at the discretion of the course director.
- Paddling experience: At least 3, one-day-long kayaking trips in Level-1 conditions in different locations.
- Other training: Wilderness first aid (16 hours) with CPR strongly recommended.
- Re-entry Skills
- Assisted Re-entry
- All-in Re-entry
- Bow Rescue
- Re-entry Exercises or Scenarios
- Introduction to Rolling
- Launching and Landing
- Forward Stroke
- Turning Strokes
- Sweep Strokes
- Low and High Brace Turns
- Bow Rudders
- Low & High Braces
- Draw Stroke
- Sculling Draw
- Hanging Draw
- Stern Draw and Stern Pry
- Paddling in Rough Water
- Introduction to Tides & Currents
- Wilderness Navigation Techniques and Chart/Map Work
- Navigation Techniques
- Nautical Charts and Topographic Maps
- Other Navigation Tools or Activities
- Weather Interpretation and Basic Forecasting
- Heat and Cold Issues
- Emergency Overnight
- Leadership and Decision Making
- Risk Assessment, Incident Management and Evacuation Options
- Knots & Ropework
- Collision Regulations
- Meals (restaurant and takeout available on the island)
- Lodging (campground available on the Island)
- Equipment (Rental Equipment available at extra cost)